A Way With Words nominated me for a Liebster Award! Read about the late Lawrence Liebster, who inspired the award.
The rules for the award:
1. Post 11 random facts about yourself.
2. Answer 11 questions selected by the person who nominated you.
3. Make up 11 more questions for your nominees.
4. Nominate 11 bloggers.
11 random facts about me:
1. I attended a grade school that had 125 students in grades K-8. The school couldn’t afford a building, so each class had a trailer.
2. When I was young, I wanted to be a veterinarian, a nun, and a farmer when I grew up (not all at the same time).
3. I majored in physics and psychology (again, not at the same time) before I settled on a degree in English.
4. I joined a sorority in college.
5. I have a bookcase in my living room that I painted one night when I couldn’t sleep.
6. My favorite subjects in high school were math, biology, and world history.
7. I once had five different jobs at the same time. I won’t do that again.
8. When I work up the nerve to do karaoke, my go-to song is “All Along the Watchtower.”
9. One of my cats is named after a Charles Dickens character.
10. My maternal grandmother used to grind her own coffee, and my brother and I would steal the beans from the jar and eat them.
11. I occasionally participate in drum circles and open-mic poetry nights.
1) What brand of deodorant do you use? – Suave. I usually try to keep my personal care products cruelty-free, but natural deodorants don’t work for me. I’m a big girl. I sweat.
2) What book(s) are you reading now? – Just finished Far from the Tree by Andrew Solomon and am working on a compilation of Dashiell Hammett short stories.
3) If you were a Beatle, who would you be (John, Paul, George, or Ringo)? – John. He was an idealist and strongly interested in visual arts.
4) Name one of your guilty pleasures. – McDonald’s french fries
5) What (or Who) inspired you to create your blog? – Too many inspirations to name them all.
6) Where were you when (choose one) – a) JFK was shot. ; b) Watergate was exposed. ; c) OJ Simpson was arrested. ; d) The Twin Towers collapsed. a) Not yet conceived; b) In my mother’s uterus; c) Home from college for summer break. I might have been at my job and heard about it when I came home.; d) At work. One of the managers turned on the TV in the conference room.
7) Share a favorite Bible verse (or quote from classic literature). – Ruth 1:16-17 — “But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May theLord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.” Testimony to the power of friendship and family.
8) Do you believe in parallel universes? (If so, do you know how I might visit one. No, really, I want to know…) – I wouldn’t say I believe, but I find the concept fascinating.
9) List 3 songs you never get tired of listening to. – Anything by Great Big Sea, the Black Keys, or a local Celtic rock band called Brigid’s Cross.
10) As you were growing up, what posters (if any) did you have on your walls? – I don’t remember specific ones, but cats and other animals were a common theme. I started collecting postcards in college, so one wall of my apartment is like a giant poster of different postcards, bumper stickers, and other random artwork.
11) Have you ever memorized a poem? If so, what poem? I’m working on memorizing “Invictus” by William Ernest Henley. Words by which I aspire to live.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Part 2 to follow . . .
3 responses to “The Liebster Award – Part I”
Congratulations! I wish the best of luck in all your blogging endeavors for this year. Continue inspiring more people to do the same! Take care.
An English major who identifies with John Lennon and sings “All Along the Watchtower”? It doesn’t get much cooler than that!
Thanks for participating.
Thank you for nominating me and for the compliment! 🙂